Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is a single-ply roof system generally used on commercial buildings with roofs that are either flat or low sloped. The membrane comes in different colors and thickness and projects a long service life of 20 years. It also gained attention because it claims to be an environmentally conscious and cool roofing option for property owners. In this post, commercial roof repair expert The Great American Roofing Company discusses why PVC is a great option for flat roofs.
- Reflectivity: Thermoplastics, which is the main substance in PVC roofs, are often designed with lighter shades such as ash gray and tan to increase reflectivity. It’s an important quality that attracts both residential and commercial customers particularly in hotter climates.
- Recycled: The PVC trim from the manufacturing process is 100% recyclable. In addition, old roofing membranes can also be recycled and reproduced into new membranes, significantly reducing the waste that goes into landfills.
- Sustainable: Thermoplastics have impressive weldability rates. Thanks to the PVC roof’s elevated strength, your trusted roofing company will find adding new modifications like vents or solar panels easier to facilitate.
- Durability: With active maintenance, the PVC roof is expected to last for many years, making it an economically viable option with less negative impact on the environment.
- Light in Weight: PVC roofs typically weigh around 0.25 pounds per square foot. This means not only having a long life expectancy, but also a greater resistance to nature-induced abrasion and impact. The lesser the weight, the better it is for flat roofs.
- Attachment Options: PVC roofs can allow fastener patterns to be modified for better wind resistance. Sheets can also be fabricated into wide panels to reduce the number of seams needed to be sealed. This means PVC roofs have better dimensional stability than others.
Planning to install PVC roofs? Turn to The Great American Roofing Company, one of the leading providers of residential and commercial roofing solutions in New Jersey. Call us at (201) 515-2007 or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation or request a free roof replacement cost estimate.